Sunday, July 22, 2018

Art Journal Q & A.

Howdy Folks , Lisa here.



                                           Today I am sharing with you a little Q & A.
Over the last 100 plus days I have been asked a plethora of questions regarding supplies ect.
So I am taking this opportunity to answer questions while I run through a list of essential art journaling tools. 

What Journal do you use ?
I use a selection of Journals in sizes and shapes. I prefer a journal that doesn't have a spiral spine, although some journals on the market offer these with wonderful paper. One would be looking for paper weight higher than 180gsm up to 300gsm. The reason I prefer I standard book with out the spiral, is my preference for completing a double page spread. 
The Dylusions Journals are a wonderful to create in, the paper is designed specifically for the Dylusions range of Paints and Inks.
The Dina Wakley Media Journal is a journal for the more confident art journalist.
It has four substrates to create upon.
Burlap, Canvas, Kraft Paper and Cotton Rag Watercolor paper.
I have just completed a Jane Davenport Journal. Its paper weight was beautiful and it is pages white. 
I have a couple of other leather bound handmade papers, which I really just use for sketching as the paper doesn't hold up to my harsh use of wet mediums.



What Paint do you use?
As I use the above mentioned journals, I also use the corresponding products, that assist my flow. 
Dylusions Paints have the vibrancy and application abilities that seem to work beautifully on my pages.. seriously lush colours, for me the bubblegum pink is the bomb!
Dina Wakley Media Paint is also my go to paint. the little bottle are super to pack for retreats and easy to store. the colours are gorgeous.
Liquitex.....one super range of inks, pens, sprays and paints.
For canvases, I use Matisse and Golden paints


Do you gesso your pages first?
Ok, this is a firm no from me. And this is the simple reason..
When I  first started using mixed media mediums,I was addicted to inks.
For me, whose work is all about vibrancy and colour, I found that the gesso, which contains chalk, dulls the ink colours that I was working with.
And as I still use inks sometimes, I never gesso my pages.
Most people do, I personally do not.


Where did you get that stencils from?
Oh the stencil question.
Here is the thing. I rarely, if ever buy stencils online.
I love the adventure that comes with visiting a local art or scrapbooking shop.
Scrapbooking stores have an incredible array of stencils, and for me, I never really leave a store without one. My collection is vast  after collection for over 10 years and its a wonderful multi use way to add detail and textures to your pages.
Of course you can buy online, the world opens up to us all now..
my favorite stencils come from

The Crafters Workshop
Kinder Kreations 
Flutterby Designs
Dina Wakley Media 
Stencil Girl
Darkroom Door
Donna Downey Studios
Stencil 1

How long does it take for you to complete a page?
I have a super busy, mind consuming and physically exhausting job as a Head Chef.
When I create, I don't want to fuss over the page at all or waste time.
I want to create for fun, for myself, and get something completed.
My usual page takes between 25 to 45 mins.


As a beginner, what do I need to start?
I have complied a basic list of elements I use to create within my art journal.
Every artist is different and uses different elements.
This is just what i use to create


My Art Journal Beginners List 


1. A journal designed for Mixed media work.
Yes,you can work in a up cycled atlas or children's' books,
 but the quality of the paper may not be as forgiving as a journal; 
specifically made for wet mediums.

2. Paints, Inks, messy mediums.
This is the fun stuff, get you inspired and helps your flow.

3. Stencils 
To add details, textures,patterns and focal points onto your pages.

4. Papers
I use music sheets, novel pages, atlas maps, tissue papers, gel plate prints, stickers, washi tapes.
Add these to your pages, for interesting layers and textural details .

5. Stamps 
We all have so many,grab them out and work them into every page you create.
 An easy way to add text or images onto you work.
I use black Staz on ink, which is permanent and won't reactivate when adding other wet elements. 

6. Hand Drawn Elements 
Never underestimate the power within your own hand.
Drawing your own images, detailing your stencil elements,
 handwriting thoughts or passions and making marks.
I use a black fudeball pen, poscas, neocolours11,
 scribble sticks,primsacolours,sharpies.....
Whatever I can find to imprint my own mark upon the page.

7. Magazine Images 
To add to use as focal points or layered elements for collage pieces. 



8. Elements that represent you.
We are all so unique and individual, its time to celebrate that within your own pages.
If you look at my arty pages and the messages I create within my journal you would get a sense of just who I am as a person. I am bold, colourful and happy. I wonder does this transfer to the viewer.
In the end I create for me, for this is my creative journey, and unique to me.  

Basic Product list 

(I use this around most of my focal points to add a depth shadow)
Magazines and highly colour saturated books.




.
Lisa xx

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous words and creations Lisa. I love the insight into what you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, I love your creations so much ,but here you say "I don't use gesso first" but in the summit you do gesso your pages first. Why is my question now?

    ReplyDelete

thanks ever so much for taking the time to share some love thru your words ..xx witchy